Monday, July 11, 2016
This morning we learned how to get the spectrometer up and running. I recorded the steps to turn each part on while Zihao carried out the instructions. Then we attempted to get it tuned. The whole process took up the entire morning, about 2.5 hours. While we tuned, we ran several readings and learned to adjust some of the settings. After lunch, we got to look at more pigments with the spectrometer. Only some of the readings turned out right, and many of them did not appear to have a reading. We spent the afternoon looking at almost all of them. It was really cool to be able to learn how to tune and use the EPR spectrometer.